Whether you’re weatherizing your house or not, here are some steps to keep contaminants out of your living space:
• Wipe out VOCs. Found in paint, all-purpose cleaners, wood preservatives, carpet glue, and dry-cleaned clothing, these chemicals are gaseous at room temperature. Possible health effects range from eye, nose, and throat irritation to headaches, nausea, and cancer. Scope out cleaning products that have simple ingredients (such as those by Seventh Generation and Ecover), or make your own. Avoid products made from pressed wood, such as particleboard—it contains the VOC formaldehyde, a probable carcinogen. Find low-VOC paints and flooring with the Ecologo seal, and seek out dry cleaners who use safer methods.
• Phase out phthalates. Phthalates are chemicals used to disperse scents and make plastic flexible. Found in detergents, cosmetics, shampoos, air fresheners, vinyl flooring, and vinyl shower curtains, they're linked with reproductive and developmental problems and, studies indicate, an increased risk for asthma and allergies. Switch to phthalate-free detergents, pick unscented personal-care products when possible, use baked lemons as natural fragrance, and hang hemp or cotton shower curtains.
• Don’t stir up flame-retardant residue. PBDEs (polybrominated diphenyl ethers), flame retardants that are added to plastics, foams, and fabrics, are found in some TVs, computers, and furniture. Exposure has been found to cause brain and reproductive problems in developing animals. When cleaning these items, use a damp rag to avoid stirring up dust that may contain PBDEs. Cover or replace exposed foam pads in cushions.
• Go on pesticide patrol. Don’t use pesticides inside or outside your home. Accidental exposure can harm a child's nervous system (or even your own, if the dose is large enough) and disrupt hormones. To keep in-home pests away, be meticulously clean, store food in airtight containers, and get rid of food scraps promptly. Spray soapy water in areas where ants enter.
• Safety-check your stove. Carbon monoxide, nitrogen dioxide, and tiny floaters called particulate matter can seep out from improperly maintained stoves, fireplaces, and chimneys. Low-level exposure to carbon monoxide leads to headaches and nausea; high levels are deadly. Nitrogen dioxide can cause eye, nose, and throat irritation; particulate matter can damage lung tissue. Use a fan while cooking with a gas stove, and make sure the tip of the flame is blue (if it’s yellow, call your gas service provider and ask them to adjust it). Make sure your home has a working carbon monoxide detector.
• Rule out radon. You can’t smell radon, but depending where you live, this uranium breakdown by-product could be seeping into your house from the ground beneath it. Radon exposure is the leading cause of lung cancer among nonsmokers. Visit the EPA site for more info and to download a coupon for a radon test.
Published on: January 20, 2009
Updated on: May 13, 2010