RODALE NEWS, EMMAUS, PA—In many households, the kitchen is the most important, most social room in the house. Follow these suggestions to make it the healthiest, too!
|Prepare for a fire. Mount an A-B-C, dry-chemical fire extinguisher at eye level near the exit of your kitchen. Review the usage instructions frequently, so you’ll know how to use it should the need arise. You can dump baking soda on very small kitchen fires, as long as the stuff is clearly labeled—you don’t want to use flour by mistake, since it’s flammable. And remember to never pour water on grease fires; it’s likely to splatter the grease and spread the flames. Keep a smoke detector nearby, too—but not a carbon monoxide detector. Carbon monoxide detectors are affected by excessive humidity, and by close proximity to gas stoves, so they should be located way from kitchens (and bathrooms).|
Published on: June 12, 2009
Updated on: March 9, 2011